Friday, August 6, 2010

GAME Plan Update 8/6/10

I have learned that introducing social networking and collaboration tools can be a good way to get students involved in their learning. My current goal is to use new Internet tools at least 9 times throughout the course of the year. I plan on using a wiki and a blog this year to improve my classroom activities. I would like to use a blog page with my students to open up a discussion using all of the students I teach rather than the usual in class discussion between 30 students. I really want to engage some of my non-talkers in this type of interaction. I am always curious about everyone's ideas. I think wikis are pretty cool also. My unit plan engages students to use wikis to develop a plan to solve a PBL. I look forward to presenting these activities in class.

Until I get some students to teach, I do not plan on changing my goals. I plan on continuing my task of improving my knowledge of upcoming technology tools to be used in class. The best way I learn how to improve my use of technology is to actually try them out in a lesson. I jot down what I like and dislike about the tools. I look for possible problems in my current teaching situation. I then edit my plans to improve them for the next lesson. I really look forward to trying out my new skills in a couple of weeks.

8 comments:

  1. Christopher,

    I am glad to see that I am not the only one who felt that they couldn't change their goals just yet. Since it is the summertime, it is difficult for me to physically use the interactive whiteboard(especially when it hasn't been installed yet). Furthermore, I need a group of students to teach in order to determine if my lessons are motivating, engaging, and effective. Once the school year begins and I have had time to officially carry out my GAME plan in the classroom with students, then I can make modifications as necessary.

    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you. It is tough to complete some of the blog questions without students. I just try to do the best I can with what i've got available. In the end, we are capable of being successful teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris-
    Your plan sounds like you could achieve the goal through out the school year. Blogs, wikis and other digital tools will allow all students to engage in content area concepts despite how verbal they are in class. It will be interesting for you to see student growth while you implement your Game plan.
    Good Luck and have fun!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris-

    I appreciate your approach to this class. I am frustrated as well with the blog. It is hard to know what changes to make when you cannot implement your plan. I like your idea about having all of your students in one blog instead of a class-based blog. Our students have such diverse perspectives and they have so much to offer. Sometimes we just do not provide them with their preferred method of communicating those ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris,
    Great ideas. I think I am also going to work on incoroporating social networking in my class, this will really get some of your students to be involved in ways they aren't use to, it may stretch them a little big. Which host will you use? Have you ever tried using Ning? I am considering using Ning for blogging and other communication for students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chris,

    I also would like to use a blog in my classroom. I think it's a flexible teaching tool. It's a very easy for teachers and students to create, update, and publish. I really like that fact that they are interactive allowing teachers and students to start conversations or add information to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Guys,

    I was planning on using the districts version of teh blog. Teh only problem is that i have to take a 2 week training. I think it is funny that have to be retrained on something I already know how to use. I need to check out Ning. Seems to be the way to go. I have 3 bloggers blogs going already. It is said that I can't really use them for school because of security and filter issues. I'll just keep plugging away. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete