Thursday, July 22, 2010

Goals Update 7/22

This week, I am in the process of evaluating new internet tools. A number of people have sent me links to some pretty good resources. I am working through each link. I also have been going back through my delicious account (mrwright40) to review some tools I have gathered from the past that have never been used in my class. I do not plan on modifying my GAME plan at this time. Currently, I have several lesson plan ideas to work towards my goals. I have a flip camera recreation of a folk song activity. I have a Civil War and Ellis Island virtual tour. I have a group persuasive essay plan to be used with Google Docs. I have a Voicethread activity to be used with an upcoming field trip. I am also practicing working with prezi.com and animoto. I would like to use these in my classroom. I have a number of cartoon creation links on my delicious account that I am tinkering around with for upcoming lessons. I do not have any new questions that come to mind at this point.

6 comments:

  1. Chris,
    It sounds like you have some great creations going on. I am intrigued by the cartoon idea. I have ToonDoo saved on my favorites, but if you have any more websites that you like, I would love to hear about them. Would you mind sharing your Ellis Island virtual Tour? Although we teach completely different grade levels, I might be able to pull some information from it for my 4th graders and simplify it. We read a story in our anthology about immigration.

    Thanks and good luck!

    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris-

    Tell me more about your folk song activity; I am very intrigued. I love to try new things and you seem to be out there really trying to do creative things in your classroom to provide authentic learning experiences for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan and Margaret

    Meghan,

    I have used or toyed with the following websites for comic strips: stripgenerator.com, comiqs.com, and makebeliefscomix.com

    In the past, I have had my students go to http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/immigration/tour/index.htm
    and use this virtual tour already created. I just create my own questions they answer while participated in the tour.

    Margaret,

    In the past, I have had an assignment option that requires students to research folk songs from the Westward Expansion period. Students are then required to either write their own song or recreate an old song in a modern music video. They usually turn out really good. I have a lot of fun grading this activity. Recently, our lessons have been about promoting creativity in the classroom. Every year, students come up with new ways of completing this activity. It is really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My students love creating cartoons! It is a challenge for then in 4th grade to figure out how to express their ideas on cartoon format and explain a concept at the same time. A great idea for animot is to use it with biographies. I have my students create an animoto of their famous person and they create the script as if the famous person is talking about themselves. It is really a fun time and the kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that you said you have a list of tools on your wiki to look through, but I found this site today while I was browsing around and thought it was pretty good for some ideas. There are lots of student examples and, even though it is for a younger population, there are some great tutorials about how to use the tools.

    http://kditzlerteacherresourcepage.wikispaces.com/KDitzler%27s+Teacher+Resource+Page

    Like you, I am kind of in a holding pattern as I begin to play with the tools. Hope you are enjoying it like I am.

    Cheers!

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris-

    This sounds like a great way to connect kids to this concept. I look forward to trying it this year.

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete