Thursday, January 28, 2010

Constructivist/Constructionist Learning

This week's exercises on constructivist/constructionist learning theories seem to relate to the learners that learn best by doing. I notice a major focus being on activities that put the student in charge of their learning. Many of my students perform best when they are doing or creating something.

I enjoyed reading about problem-based learning. As a Social Studies teacher, I spend time working with actual world issues. I always enjoy giving kids activities that require them to work together to solve a world problem. Recently, we discussed the loss of animal life in Thailand due to population growth. I had my students come up with a plan to help save animals and meet the growing population needs for survival. My students like assignments where they think they are helping. In the future, my students could use a number of spreadsheets with charting and graphing capabilities to display their research. My students could use a wiki or Google Docs to help collaborate on their plans away from school. Google Earth and Panoramio seem to be good tools for students to get visuals to help them explain their solutions. There are so many tools that help students enhance there knowledge gained from particular assignments.

Project based activities are also great. My students just finished presentations on a Civil War topic. Along with virtual tours from last week, they have been researching and creating presentations for class. My students had a choice on their topic and a choice on how to present them to their classmates. Many students used powerpoints. I had a few create videos and display them on Youtube. I would think using other tools like Google Docs to create surveys would be good for projects and presentations. Making my students in charge of their learning as well as their peers put a higher value on the assignment. My students really did a nice job because others were counting on them. The creating piece really helps store the information for later recall.

6 comments:

  1. When students use problem and project based activities they connect with the material and retain the knowledge for future use. The activities you are creating for your students should generate engaging mental process, leading to their understanding of the lesson (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Malenoski, 2007, p. 202). They will be able to recall this knowledge in the future, by remembering the activity and connecting it to stored memory. Your class sounds like a fun motivating environment where learning is taking place.

    Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post Linda. I am really trying to take everything in and get better at what we do.

    Chris Wright

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris-

    It is so powerful to have students in control of the learning in a classroom. Students are so focused when they lead the learning process and share that learning with others.

    I have found that what my students share with their classmates is connected more deeply. It is so much fun to see their child-like perspective on the world and how they construct the meaning that encounter as learners.

    Do you find that your students are more connected to what they have learned as they make their movies and presentations?

    Margaret Theonnes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, using the constructivist/constructionist learning theories in a Social Studies class must be exciting. There are so many projects that I could think of for them to develop. I wish I had more time for this type of project, however, we have to focus more on reading and math. Does anyone have ideas on how to use these theories in reading?
    Kelly R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret,

    I do find my students more connected to what they have learned after they make their movies and presentations. Each student really has to understand the topic to make a meaningful product.

    Thanks,

    Chris Wright

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly,

    I have to really spend time creating products for learning key concepts versus projects for just having projects. I hope that makes since. I really don't have a direction for math. I know a teacher that has her kids create games using the math concept of the week. This may help.

    Thanks,

    Chris Wright

    ReplyDelete