Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Behaviorism in Practice

This week, in Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, I explored two instructional strategies that embed technology: “Reinforcing Effort” and “Homework and Practice.” See below to review my thoughts on the strategies discussed in this week’s lesson. I will also attempt to relate the behaviorist learning theory to these strategies.

“Reinforcing Effort”

I found this section to reinforce some of the life lessons discussed in my classroom throughout the year. I spend large amounts of time explaining to kids what they put into their education is what they will get out of their education. I liked how the beginning of this section talks about how one’s effort is controlled entirely by them (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).

At the beginning of this school year, I developed a score sheet that kept track of my student’s work habits. The data was all recorded by the students. Each week, I used their scores to give them a work habits grade in the grade book. I had trouble continuing this strategy because of the amount of paper being used to compile the data. I found many of the kids to be dishonest, when tracking their behaviors. I decided to go to a spreadsheet that I could use to keep track. After review this section, I realize the importance of students actually gathering the data. The effort rubric and the excel spreadsheets seem to be good tools to have students use to keep track of their effort (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). These methods are also quicker and paperless. I like the idea of making them accountable for recording their effort. I also found the section discussing the importance of comparing data to be valuable. I can see how kids would want to improve if they saw their data compared with their peers.

I believe this section is related to the behaviorist theory. Punishment and reinforcement are two parts to the behaviorist theory (Laureate Education, Inc., 2008). I can see how students comparing their data from week to week would fit into these parts. After students review their weekly scores, they can reflect on their actions each week. If they displayed positive effort, it would show in their data. If they displayed negative effort, it would show in their data. Students could then use this reflection to help mold their future efforts.

“Homework and Practice”

This section helped remind me that I could be doing a better job of commenting on assignments. It also showed me some technology tools I can use for future assignments. I currently use Google docs, excel, discovery education, and a couple more mentioned in this section. I learned about the features word has to offer. I also liked the idea of using power points to create games (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). I get tired of the same old PowerPoint presentation. This seems to be a way for kids to learn and have fun at the same time.

The first part of this section relates to the behaviorist theory. I see how commenting on homework assignments helps reinforce positive behaviors and ideas from students (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). If I want my students to continue their good practices, I need to tell them which ones I enjoy. I also see how exposing students to materials numerous times reinforces content knowledge (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). This relates to the behaviorist theories.

This Week’s Technology

This week’s lesson has given me some examples of new technology I can use to improve my current methods of tracking effort and creating up to date assessment experiences. These technologies help kids create products quicker while still learning the concepts. Students using spreadsheets to track their effort can lead to several visuals of how behaviors can improve or deteriorate because of their actions. They can use this data to make improvements. I also see how the examples of homework assignments using technology can improve a student’s knowledge on a topic. The technology helps them work faster and more creatively while still reinforcing concepts to make them more concrete.

References

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Program four. Behaviorist Learning Theory
[Motion picture]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore: Author.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom
instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

1 comment:

  1. Without effort where would any of us be, whether it is in school, work, or everyday life? As you mentioned it is our call as to where we go in life, for if we do not try we will not succeed. I do see great benefits from using “Reinforcing Effort” in the classroom. Most students will enjoy being able to compare their data and it is a good reinforcement with quick feedback for the student and the teacher. However, do you think the students that had trouble being honest on the score sheets will be any more honest using spreadsheets? With the students comparing and maybe competing to do better, will some of them slack off on honesty? How will you decide if the date is correct?

    With the “Homework and Practice” strategy, we all know that both of these can strengthen what students have been doing in class (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Malenoski, 2007, p. 187). Using technology with homework would be an advantage to all involved, from parents, to students, to teachers. However, how can we be sure all students have the same access to the Internet and if they do not, do we change everyone’s instruction or just for a few? I think technology is a good reinforcement for learning and behavior, it also is a good way to enrich the learning experiences, the big thing is not to let it become drill and practice (Laureate Education, Inc., 2008).

    Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Program four. Behaviorist Learning Theory [Motion picture]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore: Author.

    Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

    ReplyDelete